Last week, I had the great pleasure of seeing the official Manchester United players strut their stuff at an actual 'footy' match. (Yes, David Beckham used to play for this team.) My good friend Tyral had the connections because he's a member of the Man. U. club and could get tickets easily. For a stadium that seats 76,000 chanting, dedicated fans, the particular night we went, there were only about 65,000 people in attendance. 'Only.' We arrived early to take photos outside and around the stadium. Tyral insisted that I try a bacon cheeseburger from a grill stand outside because it was 'so good' and only cost £3. So, I indulged and ended up with a delectable treat about the size of a Cool-Whip tub--40 minutes later, I was finished. The night we went, the weather was cold and wet, but when all the fans arrived, the energy rushing through the stadium was amazing and made the distraction of inclement weather disappear. Never before, and maybe never again, have I seen grown men chanting and singing songs in support of a sports team. It's true that we have chants in the states, but to the extent of, "Na, na, nuh, nah, HEY! Da, da, duh." And they have so many more songs than Take Me Out to the Ball Game--a great tune, no doubt. With every play or just urge of competition, someone in the crowd would say a line of a chant or song and everyone else would join in. It was so cool to see the camaraderie among the fans for their love of football. All of their passionate cheering paid off because Man. U. won over the Queens Park Rangers, 1--nil. I was so happy to go and blessed to find a friend willing to take me along to what most people traveling to England don't get to ever see. The tickets are difficult to acquire, with some people waiting years to get to one game if they're not members of a football club.
I'm sure all of my Liverpool friends are upset with me choosing a Man. U. game, but you can't win 'em all. Another aspect of football here that is almost inconceivable to anyone back home is the deep-rooted rivalry amongst teams. I was fortunately at a somewhat docile match, but I was warned of fights between groups of opposing fans. On that note, the rivalry is almost 'inconceivable' if you happen to be unaware of the Ohio Buckeyes and Michigan Wolverines....
Peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're having a good time... and I'm glad you remembered that there are major rivalries here at home. As an OSU alumni, I can attest that there are plenty of folks who can get plenty rowdy, especially if you are in attendance in the shoe on OSU/UofM weekend...
I've had the privilege several times, two as a student and two as an alumni (it is rare to get tickets as an alumni--unless you are a BIG donor--lol--which I'm obviously not...)
I am glad that you got to experience some serious tradition. Having recently been invited to attend an AU game with Dr. Finks, I can say that I can understand why non-buckeyes don't understand the 'tie that binds' all of 'us buckeyes.' The game was a good time, don't get me wrong...but, there was no 'real' passion for the game or the school.
If you want to experience some serious tradition close to home...find a way to get to an OSU/UofM game two years from now when they are back at home again... There are few games that create such emotion...
We look forward to hearing more about Ashley's Travels :) when you get back...
GO BUCKS!
David Boyer
Regarding the songs, I apparently need to take you to a soccer game. It's not quite as intense as in Europe, but there are many songs and chants and grown men weeping....Good times...
ReplyDelete